Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Am I a Runner?
Hey there! Now as much as I want everyone to read my blog so that I can feel like i'm inspiring other people, I honestly only know 2 people that really read this blog. (thank you christa & annie!) But here's hoping the number of my followers bump up. My life isn't that interesting, but it's going to be! I'm going to be consistent people! As some of you know I started running. My journey as a runner started where else but at BYU Idaho?! I'd been married for about 8 months and had already gained 10 lbs. Before being married and being a teenager I've never had to watch my weight. I ate whatever and where ever I wanted. Oh the joys of being young again. So a friend in the ward told me she ran around the BYUI outdoor track. I figure that was easy enough! Little did I know I was going to get my butt kicked by a mother of 2! But she pushed me to my limits and I ran a mile in I think 12 minutes. Not horrible. Since then my friendship with running has been off and on but always there. I'll admit here and now that running is not my most favorite thing to do. Sometimes I don't even like it. Gasp. However if there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I'm super competitive. Mostly with myself and my husband. He wins everything and I can't stand it. Running is something that I can win at. I am competitive with myself to get a better or faster time. Go longer, go harder. You Can Do It! In the past I've done 5ks and 10ks but nothing more. I pledge this year to do a 1/2 marathon. Because I want to. I love the goal, it allows me to always be working for something and to have it in plain sight. Here are some great running tips from a blog I read everyday (The Hungry Runner Girl - Janae Jacobs - she's awesome!)
10 Things I wish I knew as a NEW runner!
1. Every race is not going to be a PR.
2. Take in fuel during your long runs and races.
3. Do more than just run. Cross train!
4. Let your body recover. rest.
5. Save your racing for the race…. don’t kill yourself off in your workouts.
6. EASY RUNS are so important. Recover.
7. Stop running on roads, try trails. They are softer on your body.
8. Take a day off when something really hurts.
9. Run with other people. It's fun!
10. Running takes time! It takes weeks and months to get good.
I love the tips she offers and I am thrilled that I am getting back into running. I didn't run for 2 weeks, just recovering and then went out of town for a week. Isn't it AMAZING how quickly you can get OUT of shape then IN shape!? I went to the chiropractor and I have tendonitis in my left knee. I have to ice it for 20 minutes after I get back from running and I really need to involve cross training, weights, etc... I have a pass to 24 hour fitness that I use as well. I am thrilled for spring to come to involve more running outside. However I will admit I feel I run better on a treadmill. Just seeing those numbers right in front of me really motivate me to keep going. If i'm outside, the ground beneath me isn't running with me so I feel inclined to stop more often. I'm working on that. So anyways, I feel great, and I want to look great. I want to be in the best shape of my life and most importantly, I want to be proud of myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment