Friday, May 4, 2012

15 years later...

Ever since I was a little girl I was taught to love my Savior Jesus Christ and to follow his example... and today, 15 years later I am so glad I made the best decision in my life to get baptized to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It has been the source my life's true happiness and joy. 15 years ago I was just a little 8-year old, in jeans and a pony tail. But I always had a big, cheery smile on my face... and that's because of the Gospel. How could I not be happy living it and especially with the wonderful family that I had? I have so much to be grateful for. I was so excited to get baptized.. nervous, but excited! And in my mothers own words directly from my journal... "Well, on April 25th you turned 8-years old! As a family we went to Disneyland and you had a great time. You have been so excited about this birthday - talking about it for months. You're finally 8 years old! You were baptized by your father on May 4th, 1997... a Sunday evening. And you were confirmed by our Bishop Steve Bangerter. You were baptized with your friend Anna Zoe Dapper. Both your grandparents came down from Utah to share this special day with you. We shopped for a new pretty white dress... and we shopped.. and we shopped... You and I could not agree on anything! I wanted a white "foo-fy" dress and you would just turn up your nose and say "ewww!" I knew you would never wear a dress like that more then once - so I didn't want to spend the money. We finally agreed on a simple but elegant, off-white lacy short sleeve dress. We bought cream colored shoes and a hair bow. It really looked cute on you. I realize now that you are not a "foo-fy" kind of girl. And you HATE your hair curled! You like your hair straight or in a pony tail. You like your clothes simple and you love your jeans. I would never want to change you - I love you just the way you are." In my mothers journal to me that last sentence has been a such a source of strength throughout my life and I am so grateful for her documenting just a little of that day for me to always remember. ((I was able to find an entry from my first journal on my baptism. Be prepared to laugh!)) "today is may 25, 1997 and on may 4th, 1007. I got batist by my dad Bret Wallace. My Aunt D gave me this book and this book is rally spesil to me a lot. The best thing I like about my mom is she is cool and funnie and tells lots of good nock nock gockes! The best thing about my dad is he is sweet and hanson and a good father. And my mom makes good food."
I am so glad I wrote in my journal and I have continued to do so ever since. I will never forget that wonderful, clear, sunny day when my Heavenly Father looked down to me that day and was proud of me. And I have been trying to make him proud ever since. It says in 3rd Nephi 27:20 "Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day." and in 3rd Nephi 11:33 "And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God." I am so grateful for the Scriptures that I can read from them and learn so much more of the importance of being baptized and what it means to me and my future. I have a clear understanding of my life, what it means and how to live it. I hope we can all remember why we came to this Earth in the first place.

No comments: